It’s no secret that Emilia has crazy curly hair, and I LOVE it! The only problem is, I don’t have the same beautiful hair that she does. So I had no clue how to tame, style, or maintain the curls. After a lot of trial and error I have found the secret combination for her that is EASY for me to keep up with. Most information out there pertaining to curly hair goes over complex steps like the “Curly Girl Method”, using a diffuser, or other things that just aren’t practical when it comes to babies, toddler, and little kids. So, here are my steps to helping make sure Emilia’s curls are showcased at their full potential but in a way that is practical for her.
- Use a wide toothed comb. My first mistake was using a regular comb, and while it’s not the worst mistake while her hair is wet it certainly isn’t a good idea while her hair is dry. I use this one with over 5,000 5 star reviews this comb really is amazing. Although, don’t ask me what makes the difference from other combs because I have no idea.
- Only wash when absolutely necessary. Seems like an obvious one since I do the same with my hair, but I was washing her hair every other day and it just made it dry and her curl would fall flat. Not cute.
- Wash with an oil based shampoo. This helps keep her hair moisturized, conditions her curls, and helps her hair not get tangly. I use Bubbsi Creamy Coconut Shampoo + Wash you can use code ALYSSA10 to save 10% on your purchase if you do decide to get some! This stuff lasts forever, smells so good, and is free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, mineral oils, and dies. ( We also love their Whipped Coconut Oil Body Cream )
- After I have washed her hair I use a microfiber towel to dry her hair. I’ll be honest I’m not sure what this is supposed to do, but I know her hair has improved greatly and isn’t as frizzy since I started implementing this tip. I use the DEVA Curl Deve Towel
- While her hair is still damp I use a pea size amount of DEVA Curl Styling Cream and run it through her hair. This stuff is pure magic, her curls are defined, not too oily, and they stay soft. It is also 100% sulfate, paraben, and silicone free so I feel comfortable using it in her hair.
- My last tip for styling curly toddler hair is to wet it before putting it up. I use a continuous misting spray bottle. This one has almost 20,000 4.5 star reviews on Amazon and lives up to it’s reputation.