You hear it all the time, “drink more water!”, but why? Water essentially helps keep your body functioning, not enough and your body will shut down. Ironically too much and your body will also shut down, but don’t worry it’s really hard to drink too much water. When you are drinking enough water it helps reduce bloat, keep skin clear, keep skin looking ‘fresh’, and control your appetite.
A common question I get is “how much water should I be drinking?” As a rule of thumb, you want to be drinking half your body weight in ounces per day. So, if you weigh 160 pounds you’ll want to aim for 80 ounces of water per day.
This can be easy enough during the summer months because it is hotter and you feel thirsty more frequently. During the winter months is when I notice more people, including myself, tend to struggle. Here are some of my tips on how I make sure I drink more water during the winter:
1. I take a water bottle with me EVERYWHERE. Seriously, to the grocery store, the park, on our walks, to my parents house, etc. If I leave my home water goes with me.
2. I have a tracking system. There are some fun water bottles out there that have markers on them or goals written on the bottle itself of what time to be at such and such ounce goal. These can be really fun, and help you stay on track. Personally I know in a 20 ounce bottle I want to drink 3-5 of those a day.
3. I have water drinking challenges. In my virtual Fit Club I host water challenges. I encourage all of the girls to drink their water, tag each other in stories on IG, and post updates throughout the day. This adds a little competition into the mix and makes it fun.
4. I like COLD water. Whatever temperature you like your water whether that be ice cold or room temperature make sure you have it the way you like it.
5. I drink it from a straw. I don’t know why but this seriously helps me drink more. Get cute re-usable ones and go from there!
6. Last but certainly not least, I have cute water bottles. I find having a fun water bottle makes me actually want to use it and take it places with me.